Eggplant Ricotta Bake

*See update below*

2 large eggplants, sliced into ½-inch rounds
olive oil
15 oz. part-skim ricotta cheese
3 eggs
1 c. grated Parmesan cheese
2 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. garlic powder
black pepper to taste
2 cups marinara sauce

Preheat oven to 450°F. In a bowl, drizzle olive oil over eggplants slices and mix with hands until all slices are lightly coated. Roast in the oven until eggplant is soften and very lightly browned, about 20 minutes. (If slices are getting too brown, flip them mid-way.)

In the bowl you used for the eggplant, combine ricotta, eggs, half of the Parmesan, oregano, garlic powder, and pepper to taste.

Grease an 8×8 baking pan with non-stick spray. Layer eggplant, cheese mixture, and sauce (I make 2 layers of each), ending with sauce. Top with remaining Parmesan. Bake covered with foil for 20 minutes, then uncover and turn on your broiler for a few minutes to brown the cheese on top. Let set before serving.

Note: Sure wish I had made a note on where I found this!

*Kiy Update, March 20th: This was SO GOOD! Easier than I expected and I am sure the next time I make it it will be even easier. I ended up having to roast the eggplant in two batches. Pure laziness, next time I will just use two pans (there is too much eggplant, using two large ones, to fit into one pan). Also, I used a whole jar of marinara sauce. I didn't measure out how much was in the jar, but it looked good to me so I went for it. Lastly, there was so much eggplant I ended up using a 9x13 pan. I have no idea how the original recipe would fit into a 8x8 pan unless they were really tiny 'large' eggplants. Ended up serving with whole wheat pasta, which was perfect. Try this, you won't be sorry!

Comments (0)