I gave Jeff choices this year on what he wanted for Thanksgiving dinner, that I could do easily. No big production this year! Out of the desserts he had to choose from: traditional pumpkin pie, apple or another fruit pie, this cake (which we had last year and frequently throughout the year as he loves it with his morning coffee and I adore all things pumpkin) or a carrot/spice cake. He decided on the apple (which I was not at all surprised at, that boy loves him so apple pie). But I did want to share this recipe. Realizing it's too late for folks to make it for 'today' but I've been known to need another holiday dessert in a pinch and this fits the bill. It's a rare thing for me not to have all of these ingredients in my pantry.

This cake has become a household favorite. Everyone I share it with loves it! I have, of course, made some changes. I use Splenda, and use about a 1/2 to 1/4 less than the recipe calls for. We just thought the original (the first and only time I used 'real' sugar) was WAY too sweet. Your mileage may vary. :)

Enjoy!

Pumpkin Ring Cake

3 cups Original Bisquick® mix (I use the reduced fat)
1 cup granulated sugar (a scant ½ cup of the white sugar blend Splenda)
1 cup packed brown sugar (a scant ½ cup of the brown sugar blend Splenda)
¼ cup butter or margarine, softened
2½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
¼ cup milk
4 eggs
1 can (16 ounces) pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)

1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk
½ teaspoon vanilla

  1. Heat oven to 350ºF. Grease and flour 12-cup bundt cake pan.
  2. Beat Bisquick, granulated sugar, brown sugar, butter, pumpkin pie spice, 1/4 cup milk, eggs and pumpkin in large bowl on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 3 minutes. Spread in pan.
  3. Bake about 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; turn upside down onto heatproof plate or wire cooling rack. Remove pan; cool cake completely.
  4. Stir remaining ingredients until smooth and thin enough to drizzle. Drizzle over cake. (Note: I rarely do this step, it just doesn't need it.)

Pumpkin Ring Cake

Comments (0)